Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Sangrias! YUM!


I've never had a Sangria. It's #72 on my 101/1,001 list of drinks that I want to try. FoodMomiac combines Sangrias and Bunco (#40 on the list too) for a fun girls night out. I've always wanted to try Bunco too but we can't seem to get enough people together to have an official Bunco party. But that doesn't mean I can't still try the Sangrias! *teehee*

Sangrias by FoodMomiac

Favorite Sangria
(from a 1983 issue of Gourmet, found via epicurious.com)

2 bottles chilled, dry red wine
1 cup cognac
1/2 cup Triple Sec or Cointreau
1/3 cup superfine sugar (often found at the liquor store)
1 orange, sliced thinly
1 lemon, sliced thinly
2 cups chilled seltzer

In a bowl, (you need a giant bowl - I often use a giant pitcher instead) combine the booze and the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add citrus slices and chill for an hour. Transfer to a punch bowl (if you roll like that - I usually just keep it in the pitcher - after two drinks everyone will be too drunk to care how fancy you are), stir in the seltzer and add a block of ice or some ice cubes.

No comments: