Monday, November 20, 2006

Google Text

While I think this cell phone tip is really neat, I don't see myself using it much. I'm never far from home or a computer but I still feel the need to know how to do this. The way my luck runs, I'll need to use it sometime soon after I delete it from my inbox.

When out on the road or out of your house, and you want to find the phone number to a restaurant, movie times, or the KC Chiefs score, use your cell phone to ask Google (# is 46645). One person even used it in a class to find the capital of Bhutan (Thimphu) and won a prize. It answers back quickly (sometimes almost immediately after you send it, but usually within a minute or two), and accurately. You can convert currency, get directions, translate words, get weather forecasts, get word definitions. Without having to talk to anyone.

The steps (given by Google):
1. Start a new text message and type in your search query
2. Send the message to the number "46645" (GOOGL)
3. You'll receive text message(s) with results

Try it out here:
http://www.google.com/sms/

No comments: